Secure Smartphone from Malware and Thief
Vacation is always awaited. Too many photo and social media activities often make the handpone / gadget run out of battery. Powerbank or rechargeable battery in a public place so an option.
Many tourist attractions or public spaces such as cafes, airports, stations, and others provide where the rechargeable battery (charger) and many of us who do not know that recharge cell phone batteries or gadgets was not as friendly and as safe as we think, because there is a new technique called Juice Jacking that is able to hack the gadget through our usual USB Use to recharge.
All smartphone devices require a power supply that uses the same cable as data connection. In other words, the cable used to recharge the battery in your phone is the same cable used to transfer and sync data.
Data / power on the same cable becomes the path for hackers to enter and gain access to the phone during the charging process, utilizing a USB data cable / power to access phone data and / or inject malicious code onto the device, this technique known as Juice Jacking. Data theft with this method has become the biggest threat to gadget users wherever they are whenever it recharges the battery.
Marketing Director of PT Prosperita – ESET Indonesia Chrissie Maryanto responded to Juice Jacking’s dangers deliver.
“Juice Jacking is not currently popularly heard, and is often ignored, but there’s nothing wrong since long-distance preparing by taking precautions to avoid smartphones exposed by dangerous illegal activities with the aim of accessing valuable data in mobile phones. In addition malware can also enter easily into the device that has been reset. “
Chrissie added: “The main thing is of course not doing the phone recharging Use third-party systems, and arm our devices with Antimalware and Antimaling “.
Some security measures that must be done are:
- Avoid recharging mobile devices in public places that only provide a USB port for charging.
- Just recharge it using Charger and Own data cable by directly connect to electricity.
- Get used to charge the phone battery at home and office when not actively use it, this action can minimize Juice Jacking to the maximum.
- Bring backup battery (Power Bank) or external spare battery, this way can be avoided Smartphones recharge batteries in public spaces.
- To ensure the smartphone is efficient in usage, users can take advantage of software Additional though this technique can not guarantee a significant savings. However, ineffective is better than not doing anything.
- Phone Lock! When the phone is locked, it is completely locked and can not be accessed without input from a PIN or equivalent passcode to avoid pairing on your phone. IOS devices can only be paired when unlocked. But again, keep in mind that pairing takes place in seconds, so make sure the phone is always locked when not in use.
- Another most effective and convenient way to use is to use a USB cable with the data cable removed, so it only serves as a charger only. This kind of cable eliminates two cables for data transmission and has only two pairs of cables as a power transmission. But the impact, its charging ability will be slower than usual.
- When traveling by car, can use a charging device connected to an existing lighter.
Ultimately, the best defense against mobile devices to avoid hacking or compromising is security awareness. Always recharge the battery in a safe place, enable the security features provided by the operating system, and avoid plugging your phone into the station unknown charging and computer in the same way as how to avoid opening Attachments from unknown senders, and to make smartphone security more comprehensive, Use a super lightweight antivirus so as not to burden the performance of smartphones.
So, lets Secure Smartphone from Malware and Thief